Monday, May 20, 2013

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME...

“MY GRACE IS SUFFICIENT FOR YOU, FOR MY POWER IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS."  THEREFORE I WILL BOAST ALL THE MORE GLADLY ABOUT MY WEAKNESSES, SO THAT CHRIST'S POWER MAY REST ON ME."  2 Corinthians 12:9

As a kid I was constantly dreaming about saving the world one day or doing something so great everyone would recognize my name.  We all have dreams of being in the 'spot light' or saving the day by doing something so incredible people look at us in some form as a hero.  While I have accepted the fact that I will never be a super-hero, it is still hard to give up on the dream of leaving the world with a sense of awe because of my greatness.

Our culture tends to idolize professional athletes, musicians and/or performers.  These celebrities often arise in dramatic ways with incredible stories and some even become our heroes.  From time-to-time we see one of these heroes shift the focus of the spotlight towards God.  While it may be a brief acknowledgement, they give credit to God for their exceptional talent and ability.  This has been the way I have wanted to share my faith.  In the spotlight and from the stage of greatness, highlighting my strength.

If the church had a list of superheroes, the apostle Paul would definitely make the list. He performed miracles, wrote several books in the New Testament and made an impact for Christ everywhere he went.  It is exciting to focus on everything that Paul had going on; however, Paul also had a "thorn".  Three times Paul pleaded for the thorn to be removed, but God had a different plan.  God's plan was not to show His power through Paul's dynamic strength and exceptional talent, but through his weakness.  

Perhaps our dreams need to give way to God's plans for our lives.  Instead of striving for the world to see Christ from the stage of our strength, our desire should simply be for the world to see Christ.  If God chooses to show His power through our talent that's great...that's everyone's dream!  But if God instead chooses for His platform of power to be out of our weaknesses...then may God make that our dream.

I do not know all of the ways in which God is going to show His power through my weaknesses, but I know this:  There's no better place to be than knowing Christ's power is resting on me.

 


2 comments:

  1. Amen! I am always amazed that God is able to use any of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! He is constantly using us whether we are ready to be used or not. And I'm sure if I asked your boys, they'd say ur quite an amazing superhero:)

    ReplyDelete